Introduction


My name is Gabriel Meytanis (candidate number 8560). I completed Brief 1:Music Industry, working in Group 2 with Georgina Harper-Dennett (8720) and Phoebe Hung (8017). Our group photo can be seen on the right of the page. To access my portfolio evidence, please click on the labels to the right named A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation.


GiGi - Sit Still, Look Pretty (Group 2 Music Video)

Digipak

Digipak
The inside and outside panels of our Digipak
Please click the image above to access our website

Monday 5 September 2016

R & P Post 2: Myself as a music consumer

If I'm not listening via
YouTube, I will download
tracks from iTunes.
How/where/when/why do you consume music?

I don't have a daily music routine as such, though I know that if I have any chance to during the day - be it...
-whilst working on a computer
-during free periods
-in my spare time
...I will listen to music. I don't personally feel that some music is more suitable for some times of day than others, though perhaps it's not the best idea to play some Slipknot before going to sleep.

For me, it tends to be a typically personal experience when listening to music via PC or my iPad, as it provides escapism and will match my own preferences of artist and genre, though often I will also listen to the car radio, or radio in our kitchen for a more shared experience. This shared experience is something I really enjoy - especially due to the variation in styles preferred by my family. Whilst my mum may be listening to garage on Kiss, my dad will listen to rock on Radio X in the car and my grandparents will tune into London Greek Radio. 
The music which myself
and my family consume
is hugely varied.

As I have mentioned, music for me is typically to provide escapism and is a generally enjoyable addition to work or any other part of daily life. Music in general offers the audience many pleasures and gratifications:

-escapism from work, stress or any other factor of daily life
-general entertainment
-social interaction: if a song is charting or talked about.
-identity: identifying with other fans of an artist, song, genre or radio station

What does music mean to you?

Although it is a huge cliche, life really would be unimaginable without music. It has always been important to me as a person: from performing & singing in school choirs and solo performances to consuming & listening to music whenever I get a chance. Additionally, I have always associated certain music to moments and memories within my life, which I feel adds significance to many tracks and artists on a personal level.


Song from my childhood: 
Be Without You; Mary J Blige


This is a song I still enjoy now. I remember listening to a lot of R&B growing up - my mum would play songs by artists like Alicia Keys & especially Mary J Blige, especially at family events like New Year's - which probably explains positive memories around this song and why it means a lot. I still enjoy listening to both the R&B genre, and Blige's music.


Song from my early teens: 
Someone Like You; Adele


I had followed Adele from her earlier albums such as 19, and enjoyed her music - so Someone Like You also appealed. Additionally, it was hugely popular in the charts generally, and was, at the time, well-suited to my voice range - useful as I performed the song on a couple of occasions. Since, however, I don't tend to listen to Adele quite as much as my taste in music changed slightly.


Song from now: 
MY KZ, UR BF; Everything Everything


Nowadays I have a massively varied taste in music, and like pretty much most genres besides heavy metal & classical, which really aren't my cup of tea. Although I would actively listen to mainstream pop music when I was younger, this isn't the case any more. I would say my preferred genres are alternative and indie rock - I have listened to Everything Everything for a couple of years, and really like how they add elements of art rock into their music. I quite like this track from their debut album in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment